Monday, 9 February 2009

Steam-punk glove - the device

The device I have found to use is the Samsung A300. This is partly because it is a clamshell with good, clear components, but also because I happen to have one lying around from back in the day.

I spent yesterday evening dismantling it and figuring out which bit did what. It looks like the battery will either remain in the rear housing along with the primary PCB, or I'll solder the contacts so that it can be placed elsewhere.

The positive is that because this is a clam shell it will stay nice and small and also will allow the screen to be positioned, perhaps using a brass hinge.

The next step will be to solder on a switch for one of the phone's keys. This will be the final proof of concept before I start buying components for it.

No comments: