Thursday 25 October 2012

R00t beer fridge

So as an update to the previous post, I've been doing some research over the last couple of days and found that:
a) servos are weird things that require crazy Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control them. This is not something Raspberry Pis do out of the box. I've seen a few cases where they use an in between piece of hardware to work around this.
b) arduinos can be made to do some crazy stuff. Like run a web server

For these two reasons I have (sadly) moved over to using Arduino. I would love to use a Pi but it's horses for courses and although I think it's possible to use a Pi for a project like this, it's just too much effort.

The Arduino will be delivered tomorrow so I can get to grips with the basics over the weekend and have the first photos next week.

It looks like the locking mechanism will be best done with Meccano. Using servos to move the locks into place will mean that they can be used without a second power source and won't "fail open" if someone was to pull the plug. It will either be a sliding bar, or a latch.

No comments: